Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Part Where This Is a Three-Parted Update!

The Part Where ... Traveling!!

03/02/2013: Even though I don't have wifi, I'm going to try live blogging this epic cross country trip. Will post tonight, when I get in to NYC

3:54 PM, Central Standard Time. I landed in St. Louis, MO about an hour ago. The flight here was extremely uneventful; I did my best to sleep all the way here, 'cause E and I didn't get much sleep last night (me from excitement, her from adrenaline from an awesome Disney thing she got to do yesterday). I'm running around the airport looking for the little keytags I like to collect, but I'm sorry to say that I have struck out. Looks like I'll have to come back for realsies to get one and run around Missouri. The airport here really reminds me of San Jose's... at least this terminal. I don't really have the time to go explore; my flight to New York leaves in an hour, so I'll be boarding pretty soon. It's pretty cool here, though. Literally. There's snow outside the window, though, admittedly, not as much as I thought there would be. But all the signs for the stairs have "stairs/refuge" on them. Which threw me for a loop at first. I mean, why would there need to be a refuge in an airport?? My mind initially snapped to earthquakes. But you don't really want to be in a stairwell during an earthquake.... But then I remembered, I'm in tornado country! It's a bit of a trip to think about; I've only ever been near one tornado ever.

Yeah, that was much more stream of consciousness than I meant it to be. I've been awake for too long, or something! I guess it's just pretty cool to live in a country with such vastly different weather systems and potential natural disasters. Haha that sounds morbid.

Anyways, there's not much more to report, other than there's an adorable almost 2-year-old running around our gate who's going to be on my flight to New York with his family. God, little kids are freakin adorable! ^_^

All right, I'm out. I'll write a little more on the plane later.

The Part Where I'm Blogging from 10,000 Feet

5:28 PM, Central Standard Time. Well, I think it is at least. We just took off from St. Louis and hit 10,000 feet, so I assume we're still the time zone I think we're in. Of course, we might not be when I actually finish writing this, but lets hope it doesn't take that long.

We had to de-ice the plane wings before we took off... I've never had that happen! Haha crazy crazy!

The pilot made a quip about the weather being a "warm" 42 degrees in New York just before we took off. I'm excited! I'll forever be a California girl, but I was born to live in the MOUNTAINS of California. Or something. Somewhere where its cold and snowy! I'm just pumped to get my first real-life glimpse of New York City in about an hour and a half. I'm super excited to be able to get to do this. I can't believe I was in California this morning!

We're flying above cloud level right now, and, as always, it's beautiful.

--Tiffany
-----
The Part Where It's 3AM, And I Really Should Have Been Asleep 3 Hours Ago

03/02/2013: I got into New York safely! Caught a taxi from LaGuardia to Ray's place, and it wasn't crazy expensive or crazy scary or anything. This part of New York kinda feels like San Francisco, honestly. But somehow, not at the same time. Obviously, because I'm on the other side of the country! Or something.

Excuse the excessive stream of consciousness; I may or may not have just barely finished my beer less than 20 minutes ago. THAT'S a story. We'll get there. In time.

Anyways. I am currently situated quite comfortably at Ray's community home (a really cool, maybe a little creepy (but only because I watch American Horror Story) convent in Astoria), which has generously allowed me to stay in one of the downstairs bedrooms, typing away in the dark because I am super exhausted from the excitement of the night and of traveling all day.

I got in around 9 PM Eastern Standard Time. Ray and I got Falafel Sandwiches from the food cart down the street, which were DELICIOUS. It's not crazy cold here, but most definitely nippy. I'm really glad I brought my peacoat, 'cause that thing's gonna come in handy. I told Ray I thought we should "go out" just to... see what's around, and do something that would let me burn off the excess adrenaline I've had going the last couple days because I've been so excited to get out here..

So, after dinner, we decided to hit up a nearby bar to chill, and let me kind of get a feel for the hang-out scene in New York. The place is called "The Quays", and it's this Irish pub, and has a pretty mellow vibe. Tonight, there were a good number of people in and out all night long. Initially, it was just me and Ray, but he told his housemates that we were there, and then three of his house mates showed up, and it was cool!

But all while me and Ray are chit-chatting and passing time while his housemates are getting off of work, I'm kinda checking out this guy who's been sitting at the bar (who's been maybe checking me out? I can't tell -- turns out he was; I wasn't imagining it, thank God!), and being kinda quiet.... So Ray and friends push me into going over to say hi to him. And I figure: What the heck, I'm only in New York for a week, what's the worst that can happen? I make a fool of myself, and I never see him again. So, I bend to peer pressure (hm. that's a first. lol) and go over and introduce myself.

That was at 12:30 AM. I know this posting doesn't actually say the time I'm writing it at, but I'm writing this at 3:30 in the morning.

WUT.

I don't even know what happened. We just started talking, and talking, and talking. I don't think I've ever reveled in the awkwardness as much as I have tonight, but, truth be told, it was FUN. He's a Financial Investigator on Wall Street, from Iowa, who went to school in Vermont, and is as much of a nerd as an animation major is.... I don't even... oh man. I am going to be regretting staying up this late tomorrow morning. There're just no words!

Really: it's 3AM, and I REALLY should have been asleep 3 hours ago. Jet lag is going to END. MY. LIFE.

Good night, world. There has been far too much excitement for one day/night for me to process!

--Tiffany
-----
The Part Where It's 10 PM, and For Some Reason It Feels Like 1 AM

03/02/2013: Ray and I took New York by storm today! We went all over Lower Manhattan and kinda throughout Astoria a little. It's kind of a beautiful city! I can't get enough of the light here... It's so different from the West Coast. We saw the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park and stood like a block away from the foot of the Freedom Tower and took the subway all over the place.

I'm excited to go out again tomorrow! I'm seeing my goat buddy from Tahoe and going to Saint Patrick's Church, which is supposed to be one of the most epic churches, well, anywhere. It's always a church outing with me! haha

I feel like I've got reverse jet lag 'cause I'm super tired from traveling, but it should feel like 7:30 to me right now, but it most definitely doesn't. How'd that happen!?

All right. Off to do... well, I'm not really sure what right now, but the night is young, so let's get this party started!

--Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment